Sunday, April 08, 2007

New Life?

As I write this it is early Easter Evening in snowy (yes, snowy) Cleveland, OH. We have over a foot of snow in the past few days and we are digging out. This morning I went to my corps and had the opportunity to swear-in Jr. Soldiers. It was a sign of new life to me. I am going to blog in a few days on alternative paths to joining the Army. I am, however, encouraged today as I saw new life at our corps.

Also as I write this, my wife's brother (whom many of you have been praying for) is undergoing a heart transplant in New York. Someone died today. Their heart was a perfect tissue match for Clark. He has been suffering for more than 20 years with chronic heart disease. For the past year he has been surviving on a heart pump. He is one of only a few hundred people to use this technology.

I come back to Easter. I find it more than coincidental today on Easter, someone died and now my brother-in-law lives. I feel sorry for the family who lost their loved one. We will never know who it was who gave my wife's brother his life back (if the surgery is successful). We will rejoice though, that Clark has new life!

It is Easter. I have no deep questions today. I guess I could ask why someone died so that Clark might live. Then again, it is all so metaphorically correct today. Christ's life was given for us. We now live.

As I face this Easter Evening, I rejoice for new life. I rejoice that Clark will live. I also am reminded that life comes at great sacrifice. In our culture there is this death march of poverty, sin, crime and moral decay. I am reminded today that I need to sacrifice and stop the death march. I need to engage the world, know where the culture is instead of living a sanitized unrealistic Christianity. It is time the Church stops being so pious and engages death and if needs be, sacrifices our lives comforts and our sacred cows, for the sake of new life.

Please pray for Clark, Janet and the family. These next few weeks will be crucial. Clark will have new life if all goes right, because someone died. On this Easter I believe the Church needs to join in the sacrifice of Jesus in order to bring new life.

What do you think?

5 Comments:

Blogger Bret said...

I’ll pray for Clark.

As far as the sacrifice . . . this is something I struggle with daily. I sense God’s call to a life of simplicity, and then again, I want what I want. I’m convicted that I and my family enjoy luxuries while others go hungry.

You mentioned joining in the sacrifice of Jesus in order to bring new life. I agree. But it’s a tall order. The church today is as self-centered as it’s ever been. Perhaps that’s our problem.

Blessings,

Bret

9:02 PM  
Blogger jeff said...

Thank you for these words Larry. My prayers today are for Clark and all the family. God bless all of you.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Allison Ward said...

I'll be praying for Clark and all the family.

ps. Can't wait to come visit! Only a couple weeks :)

10:48 PM  
Blogger Steve Carroll said...

Wow Larry this Hit Home. Clark is in My prayers. Now i am going to blog on some of my own feelings.

Thank You for your Honesty.

7:03 PM  
Blogger jsi said...

To receive a life-giving organ is so bittersweet. For my mother-in-law, she needed a lung, and her life chiving opportunity came at a time of grief and loss for another family.
Life-giving sacfirce - it makes you see life differently, a perspective which cannot be imagined or hypothetical. The lens is permanently affected.
Praise God for his life-giving technology and surgery, and for you as you moniter hsi recuperation and progress.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home