Friday, July 04, 2008

Is Change Inevitable?

Many of my friends changed addresses this week. They moved to new towns. They moved into homes that were furnished and cared for. It was the week when our movement had new assignments take place. It has been more difficult for me than I thought it would. I did not move. I am not sure I do change well. You think it would be easier as I got older; not so.

Of course the old adage is "Change is inevitable." Others also come to mind like, "Time marches on." The latter is a fact that has not been lost on me in recent months as I notice signs of my age beginning to take hold on me.

However, there is another old adage that comes to mind as well, "The more things change, the more they stay the same." Over the years there have been moments when I thought our movement had changed. We lost our bonnets and high collars (still viewed by many as the one of the most scandalous moments in our history). We have lost many of our practices that as we look back are bemoaned by many. Are we better off or worse for losing them? Who knows?

I think for the most part though, that we have basically stayed the same. We still operate except for our very security-conscious information technology with the same protocols and conservative ways as we did in the 1960's and 1970's. Permission for everything has to be asked and granted. Procedures and methodology although somewhat updated are basically the same.
Is that good or bad? You can be the judge.

Then the personal question comes, "Have I really changed?" Certainly, my political views have changed. My physical body has changed. My patience has grown. My temper has dulled. My energy has waned a bit as well. Is that really change?

I guess the question for today in our ever-changing society for me is "Have I changed personally in deep ways?" To be honest, I still struggle with many of the same spiritual issues. Even when I think I have them licked through the Spirit, they raise their heads and many times bite me.

I have had several friends talk about how they need to make changes in their lives recently. The changes have varied. They have been changes in exercise routines, jobs, education and even spiritual ways. I have even declared to myself that I need to change in many ways. I need to do better on several levels. I need many questions answered about me.

The question is though, for our movement and us personally, is change inevitable? What is good change? How do we keep what is the familiar thing and not always the right thing from dominating us corporately or personally?

Today we celebrate the 232nd birthday of our country. Think about the change during that time. Yet have we really changed? There will be cookouts, family get togethers and fireworks (my 4th will somewhat more subdued.)

I am a bit more introspective today on this festive day. What needs to change in our movement? What needs to change in me? What needs to change in you? What needs to change in our country? How do we make this happen? I am not sure anyone knows. I am sure I will get a few pat answers on this one. I think I am looking for a bit more depth today.

What do you think?

3 Comments:

Blogger HS said...

When I consider the challenge of Jesus to the people he moved among, it was mostly focused on change. Be born again, be healed, be forgiven, leave all you have, follow me, look to the heart. Those who encountered Christ were changed by the encounter itself, but were also urged continue that movement - go and sin no more. So I don't see 'change' as an option, but as an essential, both personally and corporately.

But change in itself isn't good or bad. A woman in our community changes her hair color every few weeks - purple, green, you name it, she picks it, but that kind of change seems to have little purpose, other than to perhaps call attention to the fact that she's changing.

Is what is changing in us (or what we are attempting to change in ourselves) moving us toward wholeness? Toward holiness? There is always room for repentance, but I also think of those who I respect because of their steadiness. They know who they are and are not challenged by every breeze that blows.

11:35 PM  
Blogger jsi said...

I do not want to be a feather in the wind, transported in my convictions as frequently as the wind blows or ceases.

I insist that some parts of life need to be rock solid, unchanging. The reliable characteristics of Christ need to be evident in my manner - my walking, my talking, my leading, my proceeding. Is Christ evident as the definition of who I am?

Am I a person who has the courage to operate with firm forgiveness and firm judgement?

Am I willing to be present in every aspect of what I am doing and also have a vision and working plan for the future?

Do I have the stamina to continue to be an aggressive encourager, passionately seeking the best in every person and situation and accentuating the goodness and rightness found?

I consider that for all leaders of the Church, it is wise to look towards Africa and understand the level of success which has come from investing in people instead of property or program. In a continent which has such limited resources devoted to such intense need, their spiritual efforts are multiplied over and over.

Is the Church being led underground...is the Beacon on the hill being called to shine in aggressive and dangerous places? Is the Bride being led into dark and dirty places of the world to apply mercy, forgiveness, redemption and completion to incredibly broken people, all in the name of Christ Jesus?

Is my ministry framed by the borders of Isaiah 58?

Would the ministry God is calling me and my husband to require me to sell my building and real estate and invest in the poorest areas of my community, daily giving all that is available and waiting for the next day's resources to be produced? (You would fall out of your chair Larry...you would fall right out of your chair!)

What happens when change is offensive to the "approved vein of ministry?" Who gets to determine the vein of ministry and gauge its success?

7:26 PM  
Blogger jeff said...

jsi,

in answer to your question here:

"Is the Church being led underground...is the Beacon on the hill being called to shine in aggressive and dangerous places? Is the Bride being led into dark and dirty places of the world to apply mercy, forgiveness, redemption and completion to incredibly broken people, all in the name of Christ Jesus?"

yes

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home