Saturday, November 28, 2009

Uncertainty?

Recently, my mainline supervisor received word that he and his wife were being transferred to South America. Their positions will carry serious and demanding responsibilities. They are good people who will do well. Their giftings suit them well for what God is asking them to do.

I usually refrain from commenting on this particular part of our movement's tradition. Moving and doing it often comes with the calling. I believe the whole process to be a sacred one. It is bathed in prayer. Its affect on people is often dramatic.

The different reactions to the announcement of our friends move, were varied, but mainly it was one of shock and uncertainty since our friends have been with us such a short time. We were certain that this relationship was going to be in place this way for a very long time to come.

It has thrown many of my colleagues into the realm of uncertainty. There have been many questions asked as to how this could happen so fast or who will replace our friends.

I admit that I have had some of these private thoughts myself. You know that these decisions are considered deeply and the face of God is sought, but still when we involve a human element, a nagging question still hangs out there. "What happens next?"

God's promises never change. They are sure. Our abiding peace is in the fact that "He who began a good work in you, will continue to do it." Still out there hangs uncertainties.

I am conflicted often as to whether my uncertainty and the uncertainty of others is a sin of doubting or just part of who we are as people. Maybe it is just a lack of faith.

So are we unfaithful when we are uncertain? Are we actually doubting the power of God? Are we just being human?

I would be interested to know your thoughts on uncertainty. What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Hinzman said...

Does Christ's prayer in the garden of Gethsemane reflect our uncertainty?

In requesting for 'the cup to pass,' Jesus firmly grasps the will of God, but He makes mention of some fear (or uncertainty) of the pain which is to come. I think His prayer is like the uncertainty you are describing.

This uncertainty can be, like you said, an expression of our humanly desires. So, I don't think that it is sin in the context of genuine devotion to the will of God, which your examples seem to me (but only God can recognize).

7:20 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Thanks for your post, UL. I've been asking myself a similar question for weeks, it's given me some food for thought.

love you!

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home