Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pastor, abbot, co?

Let me begin by saying noone should try to make pithy posts on blogger while thumbing from a handheld unit. Yet, I do feel it is time to cross into a subject that is near to my heart and probably a bit risky to discuss while being part of a quasi-military movement.

I have been on vacation (ah!)and have been reading a great deal. My ideal vacation burning up on a beach and devouring books. I have read two so far that have gotten the blog juices flowing.

"Generation Me" by Jean Twenge is a must read for those working with young adults. It is a candid look at generational differences and, in particular, a view of the generation my two sons belong to. I have also read "Listening to the Beliefs of Emerging Churches" which is edited by Robert Webber.
Twenge confirms with hard data much of what I have experienced with the 20 something generation. This is a generation that really tends to be a generation that is stressed, paradoxical and dreamers who love to question EVERYTHING. I think I may have been born several years too early.

It is in this questioning and the turning away from the traditional church which is problematic for our movement which is big on salute and go. It is also problematic for traditional churches that are really big on pastoral authority. That is why so many emerging chuches are embracing what is called "the new monasticism." This is the formation of communities of faith that midrash and struggle with scripture and dogma in an open forum even in worship gatherings.
This is a far contrast to the current trend in our movement where we see the label "pastor/commanding officer" used so frequently. It is sometimes amusing to see those enamored with the idea of being commanders when they have a congregation of 10-15 and not much influence outside of the walls of their building. In fact, the notion of commanding much of anything with this generation is almost laughable.

While I do not want suggest preaching is not important, I would suggest that what may be needed for this generation may be the development of abbots. In the monastic days the abbot was the tour guide for those on the journey of spiritual formation in monasteries. Lest you think these monateris were cloistered, think again. Many served the poor and reached out to those who needed relationship with Christ.

Pastors/commanders tend to preach and moralize while an abbot mentors and encourages those who are searching to find their savior in an almost communal theology.

This is risky for us. It means we can be challenged and must welcome it. After all it really could mean healthier and deeper believers. The problem; this type of leadership and community means time and investment. It means that results will not be instant, unless the Spirit makes it so. In our statistic-driven, managment by goals and objective church culture (when did we adopt a very worldly way of doing church?) in which we find ourselves in the church this may prove maddening for some our more modern-leaning leadership.

So is it time for more abbots and less pastor/commanders? Is this a fad? Or is it the new wave of ou culture? Am I just fooling myself?

What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Bret said...

Your comment: “the notion of commanding much of anything with this generation is almost laughable.”

I couldn’t agree more . . . however, I’m 37 and I’ve had a problem with authority my whole life . . .

I don’t believe this is a fad at all. I’m not so sure it’s a new wave of culture either . . . this is just how the newer generations are . . . some people, however, are just now waking up to it.

My problem with authority has been one of the issues that cause me to question my calling over and over again – whether it’s the uniform mandates, the move system, the struggle to send my kids to a Christian school or some other mandate I don't believe in. I don’t want anyone telling me what I can and can’t do.

As a first generation Salvationist, making the cultural leap into the Salvation Army has been a tremendous struggle. With a few exceptions, first generation Salvationists are the only ones that understand my struggle. For the most part, they too have similar struggles.

I’ve always said . . . the Army MUST change!

What are the changes? Although I have a pretty lengthy list . . . I think that the constant cultural shifts will require each Salvation Army unit to look a little different from the others. The cookie cutter model of our ministry simply has not and does not cut it.

You are definitely not fooling yourself. It’s the keepers of the status quo who are fooling themselves.

As far as the development of abbots . . . Many officers, as well as the newer officers, may know what to do with an “abbot” style of leadership. They just aren’t trained to do ministry like that. Whatever happened to the Army setting ministry trends?

Good post . . .

Blessings,

Bret

10:00 PM  
Blogger HS said...

you write about "a generation that is stressed, paradoxical and dreamers who love to question EVERYTHING" with the suggestion that you may have been born several years too early - i'm thinking that there is a similarity to the 60's - there were lots of questions then, a belief in social justice, impacted of course by Viet Nam and civil rights. Remember the Jesus people?

I haven't seen Twenge's book, but the question that I wonder about is how these generational assumptions cross class lines - does what she describe as characteristics of a generation apply to the poor and working class, as well as the college students?

is the "back to the roots", army-barmy direction of some of our young people an abberation?

I wonder, too, if it matters less what the spiritual leader is called (pastor, abbott, Mother superior) than the way in which the man or woman moves among those he/she is in fellowship with. Does the model really make a difference if the personality or character of the leader is wanting to be in control? I've had DC's who've mentored and encouraged, and those who have commanded.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home