Sunday, January 01, 2006

Dressed Up?

I heard a good message this morning based on Isaiah's writings in Isaiah 61 and 62. Isaiah describes not only the the coming of the Messiah in his writings, but also prophesies about the look of the church in the new dispensation of grace. In particular, the preacher exhorted the congregation to allow Christ to dress us for our daily lives. He illustrated the whole issue by describing how brides make themselves beautiful for their husbands, but also for those gathered for the wedding, so that all would know how much love they have for the husband. The bride wants the world to see how special the relationship is for her. She longs for others to have this joy in their lives.

Although not a perfect illustration the impact remained. The Lord dresses us in grace so that we will be beautiful for Him and for the world to see how special this a grace relationship is with God.

I have seen some beautiful brides. We just had a wedding in our family. We have a picture in our house of the bride and groom. Both were and are beautiful.

I have seen some great weddings where the bride looks beautiful. Then at the reception, I have seen some incidents happen when the bridal gown gets soiled and stained. The bride gets embarrassed and the bloom sort of comes of the rose of the wedding. I have seen some really ugly scenes ensue. After all, the bride does not want the dress ruined. Often she is so hung up on the dress and wanting things to go perfectly that she forgets the joy of the wedding and why she got married.

The point is that grace saves us and cleans us up, but walking in the reception of world often leaves marks on our beautiful clothes God gives. Often those in the church really worry about their appearance and lose sight of not only Who dresses us, but why we dress for the occasion.

I think this illustrates a difference often between God wants from us and what we see as important and what will be attractive to the world. God sees the relationship and the shine that He brings as the thing that will attract people to Him. We often see our priorities and behavior as the important thing.

As we face this New Year my prayer is that the Church would be arrayed in the right clothing. Humility and grace are beautiful to be clothed in. I am concerned that in a holiness tradition, we concentrate too much on our part in this process and not always on God's part. We also tend to want other brides to dress like us.

The beauty of all the weddings I have been to is that every bride is unique and beautiful in her own way. Each has a unique relationship to their groom. So here is the question I have today, do we as Christians and salvationists in the holiness tradition expect too much by asking people to live by our standards? For example, should we be critical of those who are comfortable with behaviors we covenant not to do, such as drinking or using a word or phrase we might consider as coarse? Are we legalists to expect that everyone will agree with our standard of Christianity? Are God's standards of righteous and holiness different in their manifestation in different Christians just as different brides are dressed in different gowns, but still beautiful for their intended? Or are we too proud of our own style of bridal gown?

What do you think?

6 Comments:

Blogger Allison Ward said...

haha...pantomimes are the exact opposite of quiet! They are like an off broadway comedy..Lots of crowd participation..something a young kid would like or anyone who actually understands the humor of England..Like Mahiri would be one to enjoy it!
As for your blog...I often think about the same questions..obviously I have no clue but I hope someone does and they share it! :)

8:59 AM  
Blogger bedemike said...

There's a lot to chew on here, and these are issues that have hit pretty close to home for me in recent months.

As a Salvationists we shouldn't expect everyone to agree with our standards except those who have taken them as their own. I believe our standards of membership are Biblically based and can be defended as such. Moral conduct is certainly not a "means to an end" when it comes to salvation, but I think it is a part of the holiness journey.

I think the most misunderstood, under-utilized, under-appreciated designation in the Army is adherance - an opportunity to say "I am a member of this church" without the humongous step that is soldiership, particularly for the new Believer.

I also believe, however, that the commitments of soldiership are spiritual issues that need to be dealt with in a continuing life of holiness, and I don't think that's legalism - I think it's a matter of "adding to your faith."

1:15 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Brett,

I agree with the adherent issue. I am not sure our non-drinking stance is as theological as we make it. I think it is more missional. If it was and is a sin to drink. Then quite possibly Jesus would have been a sinner. We know that is not true.

Missionally I buy the abstinence policy, because if we are to be reaching those in recovery and those who come from the abuse of substance it makes sense not to tempt them. For me, I know that I have a genetic pre-disposition to addiction. My family history on both sides is full of people who were and are addicted. It would be sinful for me to put myself in the position to tempt addiction or to act as a stumbling block for those in recovery in my family and flock.

I do agree that the soldiership commitment should be spiritual and an addition to our faith. I am afraid that often in practice it is not. When it works it is glorious.

2:18 PM  
Blogger bedemike said...

I agree with Lindsay here because she is not saying the drinking is the sin - rather, the lying is the sin, and I think that would hold true for all of us. I would not begrudge someone the opportunity to renounce their soldiership if they felt the Army was no longer the place for them.

Alcohol always seems to be a big issue in these "sin/not a sin" conversations among Sallies. It's one I've had a lot recently myself with friends far & near.

My take is this: Paul quoted the Corinthian slogan "Everything is permissable for me," but questioned it by reminding the believers of 2 important points - don't let anything control you, and consider how beneficial/constructive these things are. Nobody is going to question that Jesus is all one needs for salvation. However, since the original post asked about holiness, it seems fair to ask the question at some point - How is this behavior (whatever it might be - smoking, drinking, gambling, over-eating) beneficial to your Christian walk? That's a "theological" question that's tough to answer.

BTW - it wouldn't shock me to get to heaven & find out Jesus never touched the stuff. He was full of surprises.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Allison Ward said...

I completely agree with lindsay..I actually tell people who ask me that the exact same thing! Great minds think alike..GOOD STUFF! I love it!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Dave,

Good question, how would you update it?

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home