Monday, June 05, 2006

Contract or covenant?

Yesterday, I was privileged to be part of two very meaningful and sacred moments. I was at the covenant signing for both the Project 117 students and the cadets who are about to be commissioned. Both groups pledged to follow God with all their hearts and made commitment to serve the lost, disenfranchised and broken of this world.

Both groups signed covenants. I am an officer and feel that my promise to God signed nearly 26 years ago is valid, and binding for life. I must admit there have been a few times when I have thought that it would be better for me to step away from this commitment. The Spirit has then whispered, "This is where you are supposed to be." My covenant is not just a piece of paper, but an assurance by God, The Great Covenant Keeper, who signed His name in Christ's blood and sealed it with the Spirit. I hold officership and its commitment in the highest regard.

It does seem, however, that it is often not as celebrated when others make life-long commitments to service outside of officership. There is not the fanfare, the ceremony or the same emphasis put on the commitments made by lay leaders to the life of ministry. I think it is because these people are often seen in our world as being professionals who are under contract, instead of people under covenant.

My coming to Jesus came through a series of events. I grew up with the strong covenant values in an officer home, but it was my Sunday School teacher when I was 7 and then a friend when is was 17, who were strongly committed to ministry, who prayed with me when I acknowledged my need of a Savior. In fact, I can only name a few officers who influenced me strongly for Christ, besides my mom and dad. Colonel Joe DeMichael comes to mind. He was never shy about asking me about Jesus or loving (sometimes in a very tough way) me unconditionally. Other than that, I honestly can't remember others officers having such an impact on me as those in the laity.

My current position for the next few weeks has me in position where we train people who many look upon as less than officer status. They are not always treated in the highest regard, even though they sacrifice and serve, with less security than many of my colleagues.

I know officership is my calling. It is holy. It is covenantal in nature. It is what I believe I was born to do! I also think there are many who are born to minister locally for life. They are called by God to fulfill His call in a variety of settings. We have had 117 students serve around the world. Often, they have served under very tough circumstances. I think they are under covenant as well. I believe that covenant to be incredibly important and not just a contract they can opt out of.

As I go through this week every year, my mind goes to these thoughts. Is there really a better covenant or just a different one? Maybe the distinctives of laity and officer are not as distinct as we make them. Many would say that the laity do not make the promises of an officer. I think they do. I think it is just different.

I am not looking for fanfare or even a big event for our laity. Many of my great friends would not want that anyway. Maybe the time has come for their gifts and leadership to be acknowledged in a different and more significant way. Maybe we should begin to consider them more as covenant partners in the Gospel, than just people under our command or care. After all, didn't Jesus call the disciples "friends" after a while?

All I know is that the covenant of grace and calling extends to all through Jesus. I guess I would like for all of us to be acknowledged as full partners. Who knows, I might be the only one who thinks this way. I am not always sure I do think this way.

What do you think?

8 Comments:

Blogger armybarmy said...

Larry- I agree. Once clarification- you said 117 students. Did you mean 'Project 117' students or was the number of students 117? If the latter, very interesting (that it is the same as the name, just as you're leaving...). Not a big deal - just a question.
grace
stephenC

10:38 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Steve,

Thanks...I did mean Project 117 students. I always just shorten it in my talking and writing. It is sort of like saying 614. You know what I mean ;)

2:30 PM  
Blogger Jim Knaggs said...

And the covenant is visable in your walk...I thank God for you. You are an affirmation to my soul.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Heather,

Thanks for your comments. Lay leaders are really, in my opinion, the cornerstone of the church.

We cherish you, Steve, Drew, and Jen.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Jay Bee said...

Larry. Fine job. I believe your "Cornerstone of the church" comment is central to the concept that the church is actually a team effort.

I happen to think there's just a tad too much unaltruistic "pride" in some officers and other ministers. Sort of an "Us and Them", to include a bit of "looking down" on the laity (some local leaders, adherents, etc who serve in good-faith and a willing heart; also called by God to be the best they can be according to their limitations and abilities.) In some cases this is understandable, but it is not as if the laity cannot see some unfortunate glaring examples of "emperors without their clothes on" in the "officer" rank.

I've often wondered why "The Officer" mag was never "open" to the SA soldiers. And despite your wife Janet's quick-witted, smiling reply, "That's why they call it "The Officer", I feel it is a subtle line of demarcation.

I was speaking with Phil Needham at his and Keitha's retirement dinner last week, and reminded him of our early innocent, altruistic attempts at "reforming" parts of the Army through a publication we used, he started, called "The New Soldier". He smiled, laughed, looked surreptitiously around and said he believed the SA burned all those "subverse" writings! We had a good chat, I brought up your name in a good context. Your bloggings reflect the growth of the church and the evolving Army...Bravo. BTW Do the 117'ers get all the same benefits and perks as officers? And just what is what is 614?

Pax, as in the deeper senses of shalom....JB

6:20 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Jay Bee,

Thanks for your comments. They are great.

I am pretty humbled to be mentioned in the same posting as Phil Needham. I am not sure I am even close to being in that league.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Jay Bee said...

Larry.

So, what is 614?

and, do the 117'ers get all the perks and benefits of officers?

And I recognize that there has to be some authoritative structure in any church, to include the Army, so there will be a "difference" between the soldiery and the clergy; however, I'm not so certain that the clergy-officers have a more direct insightful line to the throne as do the rank-and-file...

Thanks for the Ooze article.

Pax,
JB

2:11 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

614 is a corps/ministry model or brand in the SA. There is one in Charlotte. 614 comes from Isaiah 61:4. Basically, these are no frills corps, where the members pledge to live and work in the tough neighborhoods of cities and try to influence them for the gospel through living there.

There is a 614 in Vancouver, Toronto and a few other sites around the world. These corps do not usually operate traditionally. A couple are cell churches and meet together on Sundays as needed. Others are a bit more traditional in their approach.

No the 117ers do not get the same perks, as officers necessarily. They negotiate their compensation when they get ministry opportunities. We tend to teach our students to live simply and in a very frugal way. Some are given living places. Some are strictly employees. Others have been active in tent-making opportunities.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home