Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Moving up or moving on?

As you know, Janet and I are moving. We are taking on some pretty big tasks at the Divisional Headquarters in Cleveland, OH. We leave Project 1:17 in a bittersweet mode. We are excited for the new challenges God has laid out for us, but at the same time, saddened to leave behind family, friends and a ministry we founded. We realize that this ministry is not ours' but God's. We trust God that He is in control.

Since the announcement of our new appointments, we have had several people congratulate us on our new assignments. That is a good thing when they congratulate you on the new challenge and let you know that they are praying for you.

The issue that I have had is when people have said stuff about how this is a promotion for us. "You deserve this. You have worked really hard. Congratulations." I must admit that in by gone days I would have relished the fact that I have "Moved up" in the command structure of the organization. While we are glad that The Lord and The Army have faith to send us into some pretty big tasks, I really am not impressed by people who have the desire to be top gun. I know people like that. As I said, I was one of those people once.

Frankly, it is hard in our human spirits when we feel as if we have been passed over. It is a natural reaction, when others around us, sometimes our peers, get what might be considered a promotion. Our carnality rears its ugly head from time to time and causes us to become jealous. It is hard to be content all of the time. I am learning contentment more and more with experience. Appointment does not always equal contentment.

So what about this issue of moving up? I happen to think it is really not a holy attitude. I had one retired officer who I love and respect who told me I was on a roll. "The Army will need to sit up and take notice of you more. You have this promotion and you founded a creative program. You will be noticed." Does that mean they did not notice me when I was the corps officer in a town of 13,000 in Eastern Ohio, that had a tiny budget and a small building? Was that town not important in the plan of the Kingdom and the mission of the Army?

I guess what is more important to me is that God notices. He notices and loves me. I must trust that His will is being worked out in this new assignment as Janet and I move on. I gave my life to God as an officer 26 years ago believing that was His divine purpose for me. Nothing has changed. Even though I have had some tough moves because of leaving something we loved, I have never doubted that God wanted me to be an officer. I don't see what we are doing as moving up. I see it as moving on.

Of course, some of you are thinking "Easy for him to say. He is going to be a supervisor." I don't see that at all. I have always supervised, led and served someone. I have tried more and more as the years have passed to view ministry as a partnership with others not a dictatorship by the appointed one.

Yet, still we see this mindset that creeps in more and more. In fact, people who have never given us the time of day have now somehow have become close friends to us now that we have a new assignment. Funny, huh?

Well friends, I do grieve in my spirit about this concept of people wanting to move up. I am also conflicted about this. How do we strike a healthy balance of acknowledging specific areas of giftedness in ministry and at the same time not see them as promotions? How do we keep a balance between respecting leadership, but not seeing it as a career goal? What keeps us from being carnal about this whole thing? I think I have settled the moving up matter in my heart. Is it really necessary to think of moving up? Is it better just to move on?

What do you think?

17 Comments:

Blogger Nicole_Marietta said...

It's easy in our organizational structure to see it as moving "up" because you have more boxes under your name now in the diagram than above it. But, does that mean you should be envied or priviledged because of the new assignment? No. With great power comes great responsibility (phil would be so proud of the spiderman reference). By moving "up" you have even more individuals for which you are responsible to disciple and direct. This is not a curse, but it is a tremendous task placed at your feet. As an Army we should be praying for our leaders, not because we look good doing it...we should be encouraging our leaders, not so we can get in with the big wigs.
I guess all of it comes down to the culture of the Army. I like that there are checks and balances, someone that can make the bigger Army decisions so that we can continue in the mission locally...but with the possibility of moving to greater responsibility, the carnal side begins to creep up quickly. We don't help by feeding the monster within by the very comments you've mentioned in the post.
Sorry this is going on so long, but it's a very important subject in the structure we find ourselves. I do not want to see appointments quickly become political or based on family ties/connections..if we continue to see it as moving up appointments will turn out to be another episode of the Apprentice.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Nicole,

Great Spidey reference. You are right about much here.

I also think you two have much responsibility.

We pray for you and Phil.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Jay Bee said...

Larry:

You have to try moveon.org....it tells the truth :)

Of course you're moving up; well, moving West anyway....and that's what Horace Greely said, "Go West, young man, go West."

Some folk who move up go "under" - see le Knaggs' :)

Plus, make no mistake, if done correctly, moving up is also moving on....

Pax
JB

3:45 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

jay bee,

you are a silver tongued devil. hopefully, your little sister gave you the new details.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

As with most things, I think there’s a balance. I once had somebody tell me that the desire to lead is not a bad thing, God makes leaders and gives them a desire to use their gifts. The problem comes when our desire to lead isn’t out of a pure heart.

Like so many things in the church, and especially the Army, we try and paint this picture of purity. “If the territory has decided that it’s time for us to move, then I believe it’s a God thing. After all, they prayed about it.” Hhmmm. Certainly God is still in control and certainly God can take a bad thing and use it for good, but men still make mistakes and those at the top, even those who pray, make their fair share. I think the same thing holds true when it comes to promotions. Call a promotion what you will, but it’s still a promotion. Do you really think that the people who get voted General don’t want to be General?

Hopefully though, we approach our promotions with humility. Hopefully we don’t see ourselves now as “more in command”, but as being responsible to serve, and equip, and encourage even more people.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Let me throw in a different twist to this whole idea of "moving up". I've been in charge of a corps now for two years by myself. In the recent moves, I have been assigned as an assistant. I am going to assist someone who's only been an officer for one year and freely admits that she cannot do it on her own. While I've been in the army for a long time, so I had a very good idea what I was getting myself into, I completely understand!!! It has been a difficult two years trying to mend fences and build a corps to have a solid spiritual foundation among all the other stuff an officer has to do by myself. When moves came out that I was going to be an assistant after being a corps officer, I got responses like "Are you okay with this?" and "I can't believe they're going to make you an assistant!" My response is, "why not?!" If fact, I welcome it! While I know that I will not be treated as incompetent. Why must it be a threat to my ego or my "status" in the army to be an assistant? Are we not all assitanting someone in one way or another? Most DHQ and THQ titles end in secretary not commander. Someone's got to be Barnabas.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Laura,

Well put. You will enjoy the new spot. The beaches out there are beautiful.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Natr,

I was born just 5 years before my commissioning ;)

2:09 PM  
Blogger Allison Ward said...

I'll be praying for you guys as you move tomorrow! I love you guys! God Bless you in your new appointment.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Bret said...

Larry,

As far as “moving up” . . . some people, maybe like your self, should seek to “move up” so as to fix some of the stuff that’s broken. . . However, I’m a fan of looooooong appointments. . . . I believe they are necessary for health and stability.

You mentioned that the move was “bittersweet” . . . that the ministry is not yours but God's . . . and trust that He is in control.

I agree that this is God’s ministry and that He is in control. However, he has entrusted the ministry to us. He gives us freedom, choice, as well as the guidance of His Holy Spirit.

So here’s my question(s): Do you think that the Army ever acts outside of God’s will on the appointment of officers? Or that leaders move officers from one appointment to another out of personal vendetta rather than following God’s lead? How much say should we have in the matter? Doesn’t God speak to us about what is or isn’t right for us?

As far as this move . . . God confirms his will in many ways . . .

Blessings and prayers,

Bret

9:13 PM  
Blogger BLUE said...

Move up. It's all in the frame of mind.

7:19 PM  
Blogger BLUE said...

I beleive whole heartily that our leadership prays about these moves. The question should be, do the Officers who are on the field pray about their situation? Many moves are brought about by Officers who want their own way. In the same vain many leave because they don't get their way. So what's a TC to do? The only thing He or She can do "pray".

7:23 PM  
Blogger Bret said...

Blue,

I’m sure that many leaders do pray . . . and more CO’s probably should pray about their appointment . . . and what if the CO’s that do pray sense that the move is not right? Shouldn’t there be a little more dialogue about moves?

Your question about what a TC should do . . . Praying is good . . . but sometimes the TC needs to hear from the CO rather than just hearing what the DC says . . .

9:48 PM  
Blogger jamie said...

i think that is the real question is not prayer or attitude but .....

can moving to ohio ever be considered "a promotion"?

11:14 PM  
Blogger Nicole_Marietta said...

I think that is the funniest thing I've heard all week Jamie! I needed that!

12:53 PM  
Blogger HS said...

as usual, I come late to the discussion, but must simply add that this week, I have "moved down" and I am thrilled! While our assignment includes the word "Kroc," it wouldn't have to - people were fed in our building today, and prayed for today, and I heard the church bells through the open window of my office in small town America - this is why I made the commitment to officership those many years ago.

7:10 PM  
Blogger jsi said...

There is a very deep satifying contentment to feel used by God and that is enough. No promotion required - "God is using me at this time and I recognize it."
The blessings come when we feel used by God and the challenges come when we consider ourselves important.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home