Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Glad Handing?

Tonight I am going to an event where I will need to practice the old ritual of people in my position called "glad handing." I am going to a meet and greet with prospective donors and people who have recently helped the Army in one of our communities with a very large project. "Glad handing" is basically the practice of saying thank you in a public way. It is almost politician-like. I will be "pressing the flesh" and smiling and extolling the virtues of our organization.

I don't mind talking about The Army. I love it, warts and all. I think the mission is vital and valuable to the Kingdom. In fact, I think it lines up with verses such as Isaiah 61:4 and Isaiah 1:17. It also fits some of what Jeremiah talks about in his writings. I pray that our work continues to merit the favor of those with whom I will be talking.

I am not always comfortable though in these settings. Those of you who know me might be surprised at this statement. I think the reason behind my feeling is that At times, I have seen people who are not genuine in their practice of "glad handing." They almost put on a different persona. It gets to be almost like the used car salesman you see portrayed in movies - you know sort of slimy. You know the type. They are full of fake laughs and stupid jokes, not a great deal of substance.

Then I think to myself, "Why do I need to 'glad hand'?" Is it necessary to put on a persona? I really think that we don't need that.

In fact, I really think that instead of glad handing, I should be doing more than that. Is really right for us to glad hand? Is it right for us to "brand"? Shouldn't it be enough for us to witness, tell our story and say, "Here we are and this is who we are?"

I struggle with this at times. We need support from others. Where is our balance? How do we make this happen and still be genuine? Some actually think that kettles and fundraising are sinful acts. I would not go that far. I do think that these types of issues can become all-consuming at the expense of mission, when they should support mission.

What do you think?

9 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bussey said...

Larry,

I think that this type of activity - "glad handling" comes across as disingenuine because so often people will put on a fake smile and become someone who they are not in everyday settings. However, as has been your experience, this is a crucial part of who we are.

When looking at the early Salvation Army, there were often times where we appealed for support from philanthropists. I don't think that there is a problem with this - it is an act of communication where we identify needs and connect people seeking to be generous to causes that will make a difference. This is a critical part of making an impact.

I think it comes back to motive. In fact, it comes back to mission. It's a matter of the heart, and each of us are personally responsible for making sure our hearts are in the right place.

This could also be true of preaching, teaching, pastoring, etc. They all come back to motivation - why are we doing what we are doing.

Steve

4:04 PM  
Blogger Nicole_Marietta said...

I agree steve. It's about why we're doing it. Is it so you can say, "I just hung out with a millionare this afternoon" or was it to genuinely make him/her aware of how they can impact someone in their community through donation? I find that if you're only doing it for the money, you'll leave with far less than just going to open an opportunity for someone to make an impact on someone elses lives. When educating the public (young and old, rich and poor) about the ministry opportunities of the Army, a light always goes off in their mind of something even greater they can do I never even thought about asking.
When our motives are geniune and pure, God blesses that!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Steve Bussey said...

Amen to that, Nicole!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Uhg. Yeah, this is a tough one.

I used to serve in a church where the pastor expected me to not only stand in the back and shake hands with people on their way out, but to sit on stage during the service. I practice I find disgusting. I hated standing in the back and shaking hands with people. It felt so fake and so political. But here’s the thing. For me, it was fake and political because I didn’t want to shake any of those people’s hands. Today, if I were asked to sit on stage, I’d still have to tell that pastor where he could stick his stage chair. But, if I were asked to stand in the back and shake hands with people as they were leaving, it would be an entirely different story because of the change in my own attitude. I wouldn’t be doing it for political reasons, I’d be doing it because I sincerely wanted to wish people a “good week” and offer up that last challenge to “be Christ in their community”.

In the case of your glad hand event, as others have said, it’s all about your own motives and attitude, and it’s especially about humility. Do you face the event as a car salesman, or do you face it as a servant? Do you face it like a Pharisee (check out how forlorn I am) or do you face it like Christ? If you can face it like Christ, like a servant, I’ll be it will be an entirely different even for you.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Steve Carroll said...

I'll take a different angle. The Corps (church) i grew up had massive social programming and a 9 million dollar budget. All off us were fund raisers in addition to what ever other hats we wore as a teenager i was taught to "sell our story" on all all occassions.

Our story was a story of Changed lives and holistic ministry and one i am very proud of however the practise of selling it well became almost an addiction. I loved scoring the check, donation or big story.

Doing ministy is not always cut and dry we labor and the result are often unclear we toil and often see little vissible progress, but when i can beat last year or score a major gift i know i have accomplished something.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Steve Carroll said...

Tawny,

Can you Really burp the whole ABC's??? That's awesome!!!

3:51 PM  
Blogger HS said...

For me, the challenge is personal - I'd rather be off in a corner, in a quiet conversation (or reading a book) than in such a public setting among people I don't know very well (or at all). Those seem to be the times when I put my foot in my mouth, so it feels kind of dangerous. I can only pray that my interactions are genuine, and be aware that pain and struggle do not only belong to the poor.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Larry I liked what you wrote.I have turned a coupleof my friends on to you site here and they really like it. we start one for Project AIM I just wrote about you in it.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps embracing each moment as a chance to be like Christ, is the overall answer...i tend to LOVE these discussions and theologies and philosophies, but ive really felt His voice guiding me to live each moment as best i can in Him. Live Him in such a way where EVERY step, breath, and blink of an eye is Adonai honoring...

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home