Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Tyranny of the Impossible?

I am going to step out of my normal questioning mode (sort of) for this post.

I have always felt somewhat like a square peg in a round hole in my journey in The Salvation Army. I went through a stage in my life where I really tried to conform to the system, all the way. I was miserable. In fact, my conformity and my subsequent disappointment with the organization for what I felt was a lack of reward for my attempt at conforming, led to a very dark period for me emotionally.

So now I am in a position in which I feel, at times, is pushing me toward conforming to practices which make me uncomfortable. It is not that these practices are illegal or unethical. My spirit makes me feel as if they are not graceful enough. I think that many of these practices, lead to a sense of despair for many of my colleagues in the officer ranks. In other words, practices which seem good at certain levels of our organization (I am speaking of ecclesiastical practice, standard of meetings, uniform standards and others) do not resonate with much of the rank and file. Maybe I am wrong.

I don't doubt the intentions of our leaders or others. I believe them to be good people. I just feel that there may not be as keen a cultural awareness as there needs to be. I think that many of their decisions have led my colleagues to feel a sense of impossibility in their ministry and have almost frozen them into inaction.

I work with some forward thinking leaders in my office. I see them as people who, while maintaining a form of godly discipline, also see the need for freedom and not a utilitarian way of operating.

I know I have beat around the bush a bit. So I will lay it out there for everyone. I think there might be at this time a sense of what Brian McLaren calls "The Tyranny of Impossibility" in our ranks. "They won't approve it." "It is too hard." "It does not make sense" are among the comments I get regarding some of our practices and some of the projects in which I am participating. It freezes people and they feel "Why should I even go forward? It will never change." Impossiblity hangs over everything. It is tyrannical in its nature.

I got a glimpse this weekend at our family camp that God is about to break the tyranny of the impossible in our midst. The sessions were simple in nature. There was not much in the way of pomp and circumstance. The Spirit spoke to many of His desire for more in our lives. A drama was presented lifting up the non-conformists of our past as heroes. I believe God spoke powerfully through that presentation.

McLaren points out in his writings that he never thought Apartheid would be abolished. He never thought racism would be anything less than overt (although we are cognizant it still exists.) We never thought the Berlin wall would come down. It did! Few people expected that things would change. They just took for granted that they would stay the way they were. There were the few who were convinced in their spirits that change was necessary and that as a culture or nation God was calling us to change. These few who refused to accept a conformist view, under the power of God, brought change.

Do I believe that The Army will once again capture its roots as the movement of non-conformists for the sake of the Gospel? I believe it can. It is not impossible! In fact, I think the idea of non-conformity, not rebellion to godly principle, may be what saves the day for our movement! It may mean that people will not get "promoted." It may mean we will not be the spit polished, corporate-minded and tame people which seems to be what is valued. It is interesting that there are those who beat the drum for mission at all costs and then say, "It has to be done this way." by their actions.

So I guess this post is for those of you who feel at times like I do. You feel like a square peg in a round hole. You face life thinking your vision of where you believe God is leading you, that has been confirmed by the Body, will never come to fruition, because our system won't allow it. Maybe you are thinking that your ministry will never be able to afford it. I say, that is the tyranny of the impossible speaking. Jesus says, "Nothing is impossible to him who believes." Maybe it is time for some visionaries to step forward and work even in a non-conformist way to advance the Kingdom.

What do you think?

16 Comments:

Blogger The Hamons said...

Cappy! What a blessing to find your blog (and a few others - Brett's, Drew's...). As someone who has not been a part of the Army for some years now, it has been refreshing and encouraging to read the thoughts and struggles of those of you in ministry with the Army, desperately pursuing faithful ministry. Something you don't always see.

So, I just wanted to say hello and God Bless!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Bret said...

You’re preaching my sermon! I agree that we need to advance in non-conformity, but in the Army, that is often seen as rebellion.

People have called me a renegade on more than one occasion . . . but “renegade” is not accurate. I follow the rules and work hard to advance the Army in every way . . . I just disagree with many of our methods and often choose to take a different road to get to where we’re going.

Are you suggesting that we simply stop conforming? For example, should I just come to grips with the fact that there are times when the uniform is most appropriate and other times when it is not? Should I just stop wearing the traditional uniform during Sunday worship because I feel that an alternative is most appropriate? (My DC, by the way, disagrees with my philosophy.)

What do you think?

4:22 PM  
Blogger bedemike said...

You bring an interesting, thought-provoking word here, Cappy (as usual).

"Sincere non-conformity" seems to be the key. I too often hear things like, "I'm not doing that just because they (DHQ, THQ, whoever...) are telling me I have to," or the flip side, which would be, "I'm going to do this becuase they are telling me (or will tell me) I can't." There is no benefit in such open, malicious disrespect.

But non-conformity for the sake of the Gospel, as you mention, is something altogether different. Let's all move in that direction.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Bret....the one from the South...

As to your question on choosing to not conform. I guess you need to ask yourself, "What is the most important battle here for the sake of the Kingdom?" Is it more important not to wear the traditional uniform or to give in on that and do something that will really change the culture of the organization for the sake of advancing the Kingdom? Maybe the two are not mutually exclusive. Maybe they are. I think we need to be respectful but move mission forward in whatever way possible.

Elissa,

Great to hear from you!!!! I miss you girl.

Brettster,

Good clarification. I often think our system breeds passive aggressives as you describe, because we have lost the art of communication with each other and the ability to disagree respectfully. We may have, at times, also lost focus on what is important and what is a pet peeve. Maybe we have also become as a movement so process-oriented that we have become frozen in time and instilled within ourselves a sense of the impossible.

10:05 AM  
Blogger The Hamons said...

Miss you, too, Cappy! My email add. is still the same (joyhoss2@hotmail.com). I'll stop leaving personal comments that have nothing to do with your blog post now...! :)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Dave C said...

Thank you, Larry. I needed that.

We missed seeing you guys at OOB. Looking forward to when we can sit down and chat.

11:21 AM  
Blogger HS said...

Square peg in round hole - I've wrestled with this for years - even wrote a chapter of a book with the title. Playing with the metaphor, you either keep pounding the peg until it splinters, or use the corner of the peg to stretch out the hole - or you go looking for another hole that fits. Funny thing is that William and Catherine would likely be square pegs in the contemporary Army - and would probably go looking for another hole.

That being said, as a field officer (hallelujah!) we still have incredible freedom in what we do day to day. I understand the perception of the tyranny of the impossible, but I wonder if that just becomes (at times) another excuse. Unlike most pastors, we don't usually have to answer to a strong board of elders, about our schedules, programs or finance. Would I like to see systemic changes?? Absolutely. But we can be non-conformist in what we do and who we are - for in the end, I tend to ask the question - what can they do to me, anyway? I've already been to . . .

A final comment is one of my soapbox issues - what do you expect in an organization that is so driven by a metaphor that was rather randomly chosen many years ago? The military metaphor takes precedence all too often over biblical principles . . .

8:49 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

hs and steph,

Thanks for checking in. I think you are right, we can use the "tyranny of the impossible " as an excuse for not doing what we are called to do.

As to the idea of the Booths looking for another place, I think they would have changed what they could in the process. I would see them in a 117 or 614 type of micro -movement. Funny thing is that when you have "success" in missional pursuits, nobody says anything to you.

I too loved the utter simplicity of the weekend. Someone asked if it was too traditional for me. I was thinking that traditional is not bad as long as it is not traditionalism. The Spirit uses all forms of worship and mission. If they are authentic in nature, that is the most important thing.

I do wonder, what would happen if some of our more of our attention was turned to the important instead of focusing on the impossible.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Nicole_Marietta said...

What else can be said? I agree with everything that has been posted thus far. I would like to continue the thoughts posted by hs. We do have the freedom to plan the ministry "schedules" as we see fit, but again...only to an extent. I use the example of our corps review this past year. We have had a TON of new ministry opportunities available inside and outside of the corps building. The first comment made at our review..."What do you plan to do about Jr. Soldier and Sr. Soldier enrollment? We see you haven't had any this year." What? Finance Seminars, Youth Programming, and Social Ministry Opportunities are not the first thing noticed? Are you kidding me?
The formula tends to be if you are doing all the "stuff" (whether it is feasible at your corps' health status or not) we want you to do, THEN we may look to the other feasible ministry at your corps.
Frustration, yes! Does this cause us to just make excuses and quit ministry? NOOOO! If we can demonstrate that God IS doing a new thing and we are all up in it, we have no need to stand ashamed or afraid when facing review.
But, my heart is saddened each time I stand for a just cause (and one worth standing for) and Phil get's nervous that we will be shipped off somewhere never to be seen again. I just take refuge in the belief that God will use us wherever we are placed for HIS purposes!

8:03 PM  
Blogger bedemike said...

A few comments in response:

hs - I disagree with your notion that, "William and Catherine would likely be square pegs in the contemporary Army - and would probably go looking for another hole." That's an extremely bold statement to make that not only disregards effective ministry here at home but ignores the glorious Army ministry around the world. We're not as bad off as we think we are. BTW, what W&C Booth would think of our contemporary Army can go a number of different directions. Based on what I've learned, he wouldn't have stood for consultation with officers on moves/appointments, refusal of appointments, & early retirement options. And I don't think he would appreciate the claim that the military metaphor was "randomly chosen."

Nicole - I'm not sure I understand what the problem is with regard to the question about Sr/Jr Soldier enrolments. Is that not a valid question?

11:12 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Brett,

Thanks for your comments. Regarding the consultations, early retirements, etc. The Army lost an incredible amount officers under Booth. Even with his charisma, people did rebell to his autocratic style. Moore split and Ballington and Maude come to mind. Even though he did try to appease, he went too far...So our glorious founder was profoundly flawed in his approach to personnel, not in his approach to mission.

As to Nicole's comment, I think it has to do with the totality of ministry. Is it important to swear-in soldiers? Yes. I think it is more important to make strong soldiers. I think we should probably view soldiership in the same way we do officership. This commitment is covenental, not church membership. I am not sure that is the prevailing view in our movement.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Nicole_Marietta said...

Larry,
Thanks for clarifiying. That's just it. We have a ton of ministry opportunities available at the corps, but the spiritual health and growth of those attending is still that of a baby. Soldiership (Jr and Sr) is an important commitment made too lightly in many cases because of "pressure" from within. As we look at the membership rolls, there are people who were made soldiers after 4 weeks attending the corps, and after 4 months of soldiership decided to jump ship for a "better" church. We have had numerous conversations with these soldiers and have been told that it's just not for them. Wha? Is it better to enroll 5 committed soldiers in 3 years or 15 in 1 year because of the need to please? I'll let the C.O's make that call.

7:01 AM  
Blogger jsi said...

When I don't fit, it has always seemed more plausible that I find myself a round peg in a square hole...room around me that proves I have to fill in the empty space. I am not fully developed. I am not at the end of my learning, my trying, my try/fail/try again staus. How many times do I have to dust myself off and try all over again? "One more time" is the word I hear from the Father. "One more time and it won't be the same - you'll learn something and prevent the same thing. We'll do it together."

Conformity has the opportunity of being aggressive, but it can also be diffused. And the more aggressive the repetition of conformity, the more regularly the need to place the brakes upon the movement of it. "Is this good? Is this kind? Would Jesus approve? Is their Scripture to defend? Is hurt or danger imminent? Will all people involved emerge unscathed? Is this personal or do others share this desire? Is it really that hard to do?"

A round peg ina square hole, knowing I still have room to grow, more to do, a richer life ahead with more to offer and share.
Enjoy your day!

7:49 PM  
Blogger HS said...

re: William and Catherine - I find it hard to imagine them as part of the rank and file of the current day Army, because of their unwillingness to accept the direction of the denominational structure. Green remarks that "it was never WB's nature, even at this young age and with limited experience, to submit totally to the will of the congregation . . . he found it difficult to have to answer to a committee". They left the reform movement, explored the Congregationalists, contemplated moving to the USA, and then joined the New Connexion Methodism., which they ultimately left because he did not agree with the appointment given to him (even though there appeared to be some consultation involved - probably more than occurs with SA officers today). Green suggests: "William's own autocratic personality was beginning to show through, and he was not going to submit to either ministerial control or lay evaluation." He adds: "the privilege of a personal calling that they allowed for themselves, and that thereby superseded denominational requirements, would not be tolerated in others who came under their command in later years" While the idea of 1:17 or 614 would fit their MO, what if they were stationed in an appointment where that wasn't possible? Would they have stayed? Seems doubtful, since their history appears to be that if they didn't get their own way (for what they thought God was leading them to), then they changed their direction. If an officer today made the demand of a particular appointment, I don't think that they would get that appointment within our current system.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

hs...

i guess that is the whole idea of this post. you ask what if the booths had been somewhere where 117 or 614 could not happen. Would they stay? i think they probably would have made it happen.

i think you may have proved my point about the tyranny of the impossible ruling our lives.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Eleanor Burne-Jones said...

Good to find your blog (via a random click on armybarmy's links). I have written a blog entry for today over on my own blog which is not unrelated, as it speaks to how we handle tensions such as these in our church and others. I would most welcome comment, which will have to be via email (link on my profile).
http://www.eveningbeaches.blogspot.com
Warmest blessings,
Eleanor TSSF novice, soldier at Penzance Salvation Army corps, Penzance, Cornwall UK.

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home