Monday, October 08, 2007

Movement or Organization?

I have just returned from Greece. While there, Janet and I were on an educational tour. We went with many friends, who, with us retraced the steps of Paul on his missionary journey to Greece and Turkey. We also visited some ancient Greek Temples to Poseidon, Apollo and the Parthenon. I actually ran around a track at Delfi, where games honoring the god Apollo were held. I took it easy on Rick Munn, who ran with me, so as not to embarrass him. After a moving and adventuresome experience in Thessloniki, I will never sing, "Knowing You Jesus" by Graham Kendrick the same way again.

Janet and I were privileged to stand in Ephesus, Corinth, on Mars Hill, Berea and Phillipi, among other places. We were given a great opportunity to conduct a devotional period at the place where it is believed, with some certainty, that Lydia the first convert to Christianity in Europe was baptized. I will blog more on this life-changing experience soon. The depth of emotion in me was incredible.

It was clear on my journey that the church in Paul's day was vibrant, even in the face of persecution. It was a movement. It was alive and fluid. It changed daily and it changed the world daily as the Holy Spirit led a revival that changed history.

Recently, on my blog, Phil commented. He wondered if the Army and the church for that matter were still a Movement or and organization. I recently heard a leader indicate that he believed that The Army was not an organization. His take was that we are a dynamic and unafraid. He asserted that we are a Movement. I would like to think of us that way.

It is interesting that both comments both came within a few days of each other. Frankly, this is something that has been on my mind for a while. Movements are dynamic, life altering and change the landscape of the sphere of influence where they are. They are unafraid of change and undetered in their fulfillment of mission.

Organizations on the other hand, can be slaves to tradition. They honor conformity to process and rarely have tolerance for those that step outside the predeterminded steps aimed at there preservation. Organizations are safe. Movements take chances. Organizations go into protection mode when things get hard. Movements move forward with abandon and challenge the status quo, in order to fulfill missional priorities.

There is no doubt that in many parts of the world, the church and our part of it is a Movement. There is a courage and confidence in the Spirit that has sparked incredible change in the face of persecution. The underground church in China is growing at an amazing rate. Africa and South America are realizing revival.

The West seems to not be seeing this type of movement, even though there are some signs of the rust being shaken off, where there is freedom to move ahead. I am wondering about us though. We have procedures in place for a reason. They are there to help protect our integrity and ensure accountability. They are there to make sure there are not any people who feel that they have freedom to do anything they want without any confirmation from the community of Christ. Procedures are not there for us to be slaves to them. My fear is that in many places the honor of procedure has limited the fulfillment of mission and made us an organization.

In those places where people feel freedom the movement goes on. In those places where people on all levels feel part of the process of decision making and feel empowered by the community and the Spirit, the idea of Movement is something that makes sense. Organizations have very little in the way of power-sharing.

I long for the church and our part of it to be a Movement. So the question is very simple for us to consider. Are we an organization or a movement? From your experience and your observations do you think we are the vibrant life-changing organism we ought to be? Or are we the slaves to procedure and tradition?

What do you think?

12 Comments:

Blogger HS said...

I understand what you're looking for, but don't know that the distinction between the words works. An organization is defined as any organized group, systematically arranged - there's no getting around that, TSA is an organization. Webster defines movement as an organized action by people working together toward a goal. TSA is that as well.

as Richard Rohr suggests, "as soon as you get employment norms and professional people whose job depends on status, security, and dependability, it's very hard to take risks for God or for the values of the gospel. Eventually this monument, its maintenance and self-preservation become ends in themselves. . . Monuments need to be regularly deconstucted and rebuilt.

It is what it is - an alternative question is, can a local unit of an large, solid organization/movement be the kind of vibrant, living organism that we so much desire. I believe that to be true. The local level, community, and mission is where the reconstruction and rebuilding occurs.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Steve Carroll said...

The Army has indeed been institutionalized to some degree. But for my entire life I have been witness over and over to God's transforming power through the Salvation Army.

I recently listen to one of my leaders speak about the Army in terms of Cause, Community and Corporation. I found the terms helpful.

The Cause is what drives us, The Community is the "us" the protects us keeps us. My concern is was that what happens when the Corporation and the cause don't line up?

I don't know? The Army as proven an exciting avenue for me to work out God's Calling in my life and while there have been time that the "corporation" has annoyed me i have found that even then when i was willing to address a concern with my leaders they have been willing to listen.

I think the Army will continue to move as long enough of us keep marching.

2:25 PM  
Blogger BrownEyedGirl said...

Greece was great! I have a few good pics of you and Janet. You should take a look. There is one of you preaching in Phillipi.Also one of you in Delfi after the race. No Basillica pics and no more singing "Knowing you Jesus". When you said you would give me a shout out I didn't think you would use the word movement as much as you did!LOL!

2:56 PM  
Blogger BrownEyedGirl said...

PS- my opinion....we are a movement with organizational gifts. Gifts given to us by the Holy Spirit to give us accountability and if offered up to God....freedom within the movement. Does it always play out this way? Sadly, no. But those who have these gifts and positions hold the key to bringing about a good balance where they are serving.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

For the most part, you know what I think. That said, and while I’m in complete agreement with HS (well said btw. who are you?), I think I would only distance myself enough to point out that, while we are for the most part an organization, there are movements within us. And, if I’m honest, it’s these movements that give me hope and keep me trying.

5:16 PM  
Blogger jeff said...

i like what 'hs' has contributed here regarding the local level community and mission becoming vibrant and where reconstruction occurs. The truth of that depends on the corps leadership for sure...

regarding reconstruction, does the Army need some deconstruction of its current idealogy before that can take place?

When I read about the efforts of TSA in Australia under the current leadership of Comm. Jim Knaggs, on his blog and Stephen and Danielle Court's blogs, I am encouraged. It apears to be a movement towards truth.

http://tcspeak.blogspot.com/
http://www.armybarmy.com/blog.html
http://armybarmyremix.blogspot.com/

8:59 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

I honestly want to believe that we are a movement moving forward by the Holy Spirit. But also see that in many respects we are stuck right in the middle of this dilemma.

Many of us hope for the future of the Army as a movement, but we continue to be institutionalized by those who want to be safe and secure in status quo of the Army.

Face it the Army is in a good place today. But it is because early on those inspired by the Holy Spirit were willing to step out in faith. There are risks and chances when we step out earnestly in the power of the Holy Spirit. They are steps of faith.

In order to be an Movement, we need "be strong and courageous" willing to step faithfully. It sounds simple, a movement moves. But in today's society and Army, we are status quo, afraid to rock the boat.

Very good points made by all. Thank you Larry and others willing to continue wanting to be a movement that moves under the guidance and direction of the Holy Spirit.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

I hope I made sense!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

"Face it, the Army is in a good place today."

??? Really???

6:38 PM  
Blogger jeff said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

Sure it is, within the grounds of society. Well revered, well loved, you don't agree.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

I think that the public’s naiveté will eventually end. Then what?

Hint: Look to the Catholic church for possible answers.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home