Monday, October 06, 2008

Amazing Grace?

I had a discussion with Janet today regarding the way I have changed over the years. I am finding myself incredibly empathetic to the plight of many of our friends, work colleagues and many others who find themselves squeezed by the economy and by lives of incredible sadness. In years past I was in very thick skinned. I would say that people made their beds and they need to lie in them.

Now I find myself hurting for so many who work so hard and are not able to make ends meet. Even fairly well-employed people are really struggling. I found myself also extending grace in unique ways to people. Some of my colleagues have said I have gone soft in my old age. Others have said that they can't ever remember getting a break, so why should anyone else. These comments come from officers and non-officer friends.

Others have warned that I am too lenient. After all people need to be treated with adults. The statement has also been made that, "In the business world, people would never tolerate this behavior or would not care so much about the plight of people." The problem is, as I see it, we are more than a business. I am all for accountability. I am also one who really desires to hold to a high level of work ethic and service for lay people and for professional Christians.

I have met so many people who are like the man, in the New Testament story, who was forgiven his debt by a judge and then goes out and chokes the man who owes him little. Where is the fairness there? I believe Jesus was trying to teach us how to show grace, even as He has shown it to us. In fact, we are asked to show grace, even if others have not shown it to us. There can be no mistaking

Even with those who are accused of "taking advantage of our service" I tend to extend grace. There are so many "double dippers" according to my friends. They should be made to wait their turn or we need weed them out according to my friends. I am often accused of being a push over.
I have become so much more aware of the neediness of people.

I also tend to internalize the hurt of the hurting recently. Hospital visits and nursing homes have always been tough for me, but now they are even more so.

Even in disputes I have always wanted to win. Now I see so many of life's disputes I find myself thinking they are so silly. Recently, in a disagreement, I found myself saying, "Ok, you win" just to get the matter over with and behind me.

So where is the balance between grace and accountability? Where is it that we draw the line and say, "Enough." Where is that we extend grace? How do we begin to change unfair business structures or laws that have hemmed us in as a "Christian business?" Do I just need to grow a thick skin again? Where does the Kingdom figure in trying to show amazing grace in every part of our functioning? I am not against discipline. I just wonder how we administer it fairly. When should we surrender and when should we fight for rights?

I am struggling with this and have been for the last few months. Possibly it is as a result of a series of things that I have experienced and been led to as I have prayed through these issues. Maybe I think too much with the heart and not the head.

What do you think?

6 Comments:

Blogger jsi said...

Thick skin hurts more than anything.
There can hardly ever be too much grace.
Give strong - give long

12:28 AM  
Blogger jeff said...

to be thick skinned is to choose to isolate ourselves from the reality of others. If we find we have lost empathy for the pain of even those who have self destructive patterns we are merely judging others from a privileged perch. We can never assume where we are is of our own doing or because of good choices. It is merely the grace of God on our lives and we should stay close to the hurting until they also find themselves within that grace. Soon enough the comfortable will be discomforted for one reason or another.

10:59 PM  
Blogger jeff said...

even that comment sounded thick skinned to me. I guess there are mulitiple ways to be thick skinned.

I guess what I just meant was to choose grace...

3:45 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

The question of balance, emotional balance, is a hard one. Becoming thick skinned isn't the answer- I'm reminded of the verse in Romans 8 that says if we to share in Christ's glory, then we must also share his suffering. Certainly part of the suffering of Christ was being touched in his inner being through witnessing suffering humanity and the many injustices within the world. It is that empathy that can be the catalyst needed for us to become change agents.

10:50 AM  
Blogger jeff said...

God's heart is in you Larry. That is why you feel it now breaking within for your hurting friends. Continue to BE his love. Be encouraged today friend.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I fear that many officers forget what it is to struggle to pay mortgages and rents. They have their cars etc provided and I think that without the burdens that employees, soldiers and people who come for help are bearing that they do not identify with the struggles the way some of them were forced to as children. I understand the benefits of removing the cumbersome things of life so as to better serve, but a class was formed between officers and everyone else in the SA and they are the haves and everyone else is struggling to get by. It has become a dynamic that I'm sure Booth never dreamed was possible.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home