Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Correct Party?

I am typing after a full day already. I raked leaves, had a tooth pulled, voted and got my free Starbucks coffee. Not bad and it's only noon.

There seems to be quite a buzz around this election. The country is dissatisfied with business as usual, it seems. It also appears that there is a sense of urgency at polling places. We noticed a heighten sense of excitement today at our place to vote.

I have had a discussion with several friends over the last months as we seemed to be suffering through what seemed to be a never-ending election season. We talked about the issue of what really is the Christian perspective on the election. Some of my friends sent me a link to a web site, where a well-meaning brother, indicated that if Christians voted for Obama, they were not listening to God. Other Christian sites showered praise on the stance Obama took on the poor and the economy.

So what is the correct party? What is the correct stance? It would not be right for me to divulge my stance on the election. I will tell you I struggled as I voted today praying just before for divine guidance. I hope my heart listened.

While there are stark differences between the two parties on the scourge of abortion and the death penalty. There is just as wide a gap on service to the poor. So what is one to do? While I believe life is sacred at conception and am against the death penalty, I am very concerned about the poor.

I will tell you that I am I see good on both sides.

I think there is some good debate points here. Is there a correct party for Christians? How do we pick a leader? How should we determine how to vote as Christians. Are we liberal or conservative? Should we just abandon those labels?

What do you think? Whatever it is I hope you voted or will before the polls close.

8 Comments:

Blogger Andre L. Burton said...

you write, "it would not be right for me to divulge my stance on the election." Why?

And I am interested in learning of your struggle with voting today.

captainalb@yahoo.com or
brooklyn.andre@gmail.com

1:29 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

dre...

us army types are apolitical :)

4:44 PM  
Blogger jeff said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:18 PM  
Blogger jeff said...

sorry for deleting. A heated exchange on facebook just made me instantly weary of politics. I'll continue to keep my faith for this country on Jesus...

10:31 PM  
Blogger Andre L. Burton said...

Larry,

"us army types?" sorry, i was just genuinely curious. most "army types" with whom i've spoken to individually about their opinion/stance have had almost the exact response? Astounding!

12:58 PM  
Blogger jsi said...

I believe it is amazing to watch a transition of power within a political system without it dissolving to a civil war, reduced to violent blood-shed, economic inflation to 1000% or the infastructure being demolished.

"The right party?" - that's a loaded question seeking an agenda filled answer. But the right reaction to an election is to support our president and cooperate to help meet the needs of our citizens.

It drives me crazy to hear the amount of money spent for this campaign - it could have sponsored health care for a few states if applied right.

5:23 PM  
Blogger HS said...

how about the Prohibition Party - they were actually on the ballot, and would fit with TSA's position??? I know, I'm pretty tired right now . . .

8:58 PM  
Blogger jeff said...

are you having a 'block' party regarding another post Larry?

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home