Thursday, November 27, 2008

Legacy?

Janet and I received an email today from a vendor from whom we ordered some supplies. This person who we have never met, talked about how she was always busy building her business, but in this past year had developed a different perspective about what was important. She was trying to find balance in her life. Her investment would be more in people than in the process of building a business.

This all took us back a bit. We sat for several moments and thought about what we would be leaving here on this earth if we left today. For what would we be known?

Recently, I have been through some trying times. I am sorting some things out theologically, relationally and missionally in my life. I am also thinking deeply about what I have left behind me over the past 50 years.

In the past, I have thought often about my track in life and where we will be going next. I must admit there has been some ambition that has not been good. Pride is a terrible thing. I have also seen my role, in recent years, as a change agent and one who wants to encourage others to be agents of change.

I am wondering a bit about my legacy these days. I have heard from some of "my kids" today. They have given me some nice words, but I wonder what impression and lasting effect I have had on them and others. I am not always sure that the ministry which Janet and I have had has been fruitful in bring about change agents. We have seen good people come out of our ministry, through the Holy Spirit's work in us. I am wondering if this has just been a pipe dream, a selfish ambition or a mandate for change.

I am convinced there needs to continue to be a prophetic voice in the Church and in our movement that will call us to emerge into what God continually calls us to be. I am not sure we are. I often wonder, if this is a lost cause, whether I am just cynical or whether we are going to turn the world upside down.

I have two great children, a wonderful daughter-in-law and loving, patient wife! They have long suffered through my desire to see people of the Church in contact with the culture and the people to be in touch with the times and not act as if it is sinful to understand them. The family is so patient! I pray for a church that will contextualize the Gospel. I am sorting through a great deal recently.

I am dealing with this idea of legacy. Today, I am thinking I need to focus more on legacy instead of processes.

If you have a comment, fine. Please share it. Today, I am with my thoughts and thinking how thankful I am for the many people with whom I have had the privilege to share in changing the world.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

4 Comments:

Blogger Allison Ward said...

Legacy is something that we have been talking about at Railton too. It got me thinking a lot.

You have made a lasting impression on my life. Just the fact that you take the time out to listen to me complain and vent and ask loads of questions is enough. But you are also an example in the way you live your life. The example you are as a Godly leader, husband, father and friend.

I think that you are an agent of change. And we need that. You haven't let your age get to you like many do. I feel like when people are young they are all fired up about changing the world but as soon as they hit around 30 they slowly start giving up. You don't. I mean you still wear American Eagle, you are obviously still in touch with the world we live in. :)

We need to emerge, we need to start taking risks to be world changers. We need to start making changes and be bold in our faith. This world is becoming darker and darker every day.

Not sure where this is all going but those are some thoughts of mine!

love you both!
Allison

7:05 PM  
Blogger jeff said...

i dare say with Alison that your blog was instrumental over the past almost two years in my search for truth Larry. We don't always see the legacy of our lives, Especially when we are so involved in doing what we believe is true. I believe you are on the right track. Usually it is when we want to stop that we are just about to discover something vital in our journey. I'm thankful for your search. It is obvious to me that you have been struggling lately. Be encouraged friend. Decide what needs to be laid down and what needs to be held onto more firmly. That is the key I think.

9:10 PM  
Blogger HS said...

Geoff Moore wrestled with this question, and here's what he came up with:

When the music fades into the past,
When the days of life are through,
What will be remembered of where I've come?
When all is said and done?

Will they say I loved my family?
That I was a faithful friend?
That I lived to tell of God's own son?
When all is said and done.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Allison Ward said...

This song also comes to mind when I hear the word Legacy.
It's a song called Legacy by Nicole Nordeman

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthly list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one...

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home