Sunday, January 11, 2009

Peace?

Those of you who follow my blog will know that Janet and I just returned from the Middle East. The tensions are high there. You would have to be living in a cave not to realize that there has been a major incursion into Gaza by the Israelis, in response to rocket attacks.

I need to be honest here. I am not sure what I would do to keep my friends and family safe if someone was lobing rockets into my back yard. I would want to keep them safe. That is for sure.

No one is condoning the actions taken by Hamas. I have had discussion with several of my friends regarding the depth of response by Israel to the attacks. It does seem to be extreme. Of course, I am not there and I am not sure how I would respond.

When I got to Egypt, my son presented me with a scarf, which is representative of the Palestinian people. Many people recognized my scarf as I would walk through the market place or where it around in Egypt. As I wore it one day, the manager at one of the hotels we stayed in asked me if I was making a political statement. He wanted to know if I supported the Palestinians. My response, "Mohamed, I support peace."

I believe much of the resistance in Gaza is not only driven by extreme religious and political positions, but also by poverty. The conditions in Gaza are terrible by any standard. Very few jobs are available. Supplies and services are in short supply.

Many of the Egyptians to whom I spoke regarding this situation, are skeptical of both the Palestinians and Israelis. Although they stand in solidarity with the Palestinian cause, Egypt will not open their border with Gaza, because of atrocities committed by extremists toward Egyptians who crossed over from Gaza.

The Israelis will not talk with the elected government of Gaza because of the extreme position taken by Hamas. Although it could be said that the total lock down by Israel has also contributed to the confrontation.

The situation is complicated. The analysis is difficult even for the so-called experts.

All I know is that there are many souls in Gaza who are paying the price as civilians for a fight they did not start or want. They are caught between two extreme political positions. Many of these people are Christians. No matter what their religious affiliation, they are people.

There have been so many conflicts started in the name of religion. The Crusades, 9/11 attacks and many wars in Europe between Christian factions have all started over religious disagreement. It is interesting how all of these religions advocate peace.

So, this begs to question, "Why are we still fighting?" Many will say that we have the "just war" option. I am not sure any war or taking of life is just. As much as we as Christians say we advocate for peace, we also say that life is sacred. I wonder how sacred life really is.

War, abortion and the death penalty just add to the violence brought about by our fallen nature. It is interesting how we have Christians who advocate war and the death penalty, but oppose abortion. If life is sacred, is it not sacred all of the time?

Even if we are "saved" however you define it, I am not sure we are really people of peace. Peace outside of community and submission to God is an illusion. I wonder if our lack of peace and bent toward violence is a result of our having ruptured relationships, even though we think we are really saved.

Is peace an illusion? Why are we such violent people not following the lead of our Saviour? Is there ever a just war? Where do we draw the line between be pacifists who are pushed around and people of war?

I wonder, what do you think?

1 Comments:

Blogger jsi said...

What an area of turmoil that region has been...a storm of angst and pain, intentional, deep hurting pain.
So many very protected sides refuse to bend or be flexible, and it instills deeper inflexability in others.

I consider that each human being is capable of conflict, when they only seek their own interests - when their primal issue is protecting themselves.

It does not necessarily branch out from violence. Instead, this in-built conflict comes from selfishness.

I agree with you - seeking community and God's will is this world's solution for hope and peace. Peace without God's divine hand is an illusion, a paper-thin, vapor-like illusion.

I consider that each human being is capable of promoting peace, when they are willing to protect another person as much or more thn protecting themselves.

I have never lived near a war zone - I don't know what I would do to protect myself or my family with rockets flying. I don't believe I could continue to call someplace so unsafe "HOME". Instead of arm myself to make sure I defended my home, I see myself easily keeping home in my heart and living somewhere else. I guess that could easily label me a poor patriot.

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home