Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Repentance and rethinking

I have been reading Brian McLaren's new book "The Secret Message of Jesus." His premise in the book is that we take too much of the Gospel at face value and really are not accurate or desperate enough in our desire to correctly struggle with the message of our Lord. It is also a great treatise on the Kingdom.

One of the terms he explores is repentance. Our statement of faith talks about repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus are necessary for our salvation. I have always thought of repentance as saying "I'm sorry." It is that. It also has to do with doing a "180" in our lives.

I have tried to count the number of times I have said "I'm sorry to God" They are beyond measure. They are often followed by repeats of the actions for which I have repented. Saying, "I'm sorry" is a good start but not enough.

I have thought about this in the context of the Kingdom. Those of us who are evangelical often beat the drum for "personal salvation." It is true that God wants people to know him intimately. He wants us to be in right and loving relationship. I think though where we miss out is just there. I believe a broadened sense of salvation is necessary. Is it possible that God wishes that the whole world, our systems, environment, our politics (I don't equate God with republican values or democratic ones either) are in need of salvation. It may start with our repentance.

I believe repentance has much more to do than with the way we relate to God. It means a rethinking of the way we treat the environment, spend our money and order our priorities.

For example, I recently had a conversation with my friend about how I feel it is excessive and sinful for Christians to drive Hummers and other cars that waste fuel and send off a sense of extravagance. His reply is that it is a choice and that it is their money. Later we saw a dog with little booties. He was "sickened" by the site. How dare they spoil a DOG that way. My reply, "It's their money."

The sparring was great. I think you see my point. We take comfort that we are sorry to God, but relationship is also found in translating Kingdom values to the world. IN other words, changing our thinking about everything. Maybe we should ask "How did Jesus think?"

When we sing the Founder's song and get to the phrase "The whole world redeeming, so rich and so free" we should not think of just the people but really the world and its systems.

Maybe we need to rethink the concept of salvation. Salvation is not just a personal thing. Is it in fact, that we need environmental repentance, business repentance (been to the gas pump lately?)political repentance (label free politics where we have statesmen not just politicians) repentance for our waist lines (and waste lines) and repentance for our consumeristic ways? Should we also take a look at what we think are redemptive practices, including redemptive violence? (I will stop here on that one.)

Maybe we as Christians owe the world and our God a big, "I'm sorry" and some corrective action for the way we have perverted the values of the Kingdom. Is it possible that Christianity needs to do a "180?"

I have been challenged in my soul lately. I am not sure I have completely processed it all.

What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Bret said...

Larry,

I just started this book today . . . I haven’t gotten to the section that you’re speaking of.

But I think you’re right when you speak of changing our “thinking.” My understanding of repentance is that it means to “agree with God” and “change our mind.” Thus “agreeing with God” and “changing our mind” denotes a change of action.

Sometimes I think we can agree with God and change our mind but changing our actions comes a little slower. Such is the case with an alcoholic, smoker, or someone saturated in an extravagant culture. Changing our action does however, begin with a change of mind.

Good post.

Blessings,

8:52 PM  
Blogger Nicole_Marietta said...

Larry,
I can't wait to pick up the new book. I'm still finishing A Generous Orthodoxy (eye opening stuff!!).
But, to comment on the 180 in Christianity...I really do think we need to have a major corporate revival. A return to the fundamentals...love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and soul and love your neighbor as yourself.
Too often we do preach personal salvation without realizing we all come from families, situations, and lives that are far from isolated. How easy it would be if we lived in a bubble, but that's not what salvation is about. We are the light of the world...too often we think of this as a single candle burning...but what if we all got together and created a huge bonfire!!!
Just a thought.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home