Monday, June 11, 2007

Good Extravagance?

Yesterday, I was in a meeting of nearly 9,000 (at least that was the official count) people when an announcement was made that a collection had been taken by a couple of thousand women at a breakfast that would go toward ending sexual trafficking. The amount was over $2000. The person making the announcement said that there would be an extra offering taken to make sure that the gift would be at least $3000.

After the announcement was made, several people at the gathering who were seated around me commented on the paltry amount. Many commented that at our gathering in Hershey that the platform which was being used was probably worth more than the $3000 that the offering would tally. Many commented that if just a few modifications would have been made in the schedule of the weekend, that the impact of the offering would have been at least 100 fold the $3000.

I sat in silence and thought about these comments that came from twenty somethings and retired officers. We were in an extravagant setting. The auditorium was incredible. The technical arrangements were second to none. Money had been spent on rooms, special meals, travel and all of the creature comforts. There was also a sense of expectancy in some people. Others were concerned at the shear size and expense. I was silent. That surprised many around me and those who know me. I am usually quick with an opinion and comment.

I was silent, because I hearkened back to the story of Mary breaking her alabaster jar of costly perfume on Jesus feet. Judas complained about the expense and about the good that could have been done with the money. Jesus reminded him that Mary had done the right thing by extravagantly giving of herself to worship him. It was an example of extravagance being a good thing.

Jesus saw this extravagance as valuable when it came to worship and seeking for intimacy with the Father. I thought about that as others lamented that all we could come up with was $3000 for people being trafficked. Someone quipped that it would at least "save a couple of girls." I was saddened by the thought of a cavalier comment such as that, but understood the depth of feeling.

I then had another thought. Paul, in his writings, talks about putting off our "carnal nature." "Carnal" is a word used in the KJV It is translated in more modern versions as "sinful." It is interesting that the word "carnal," has the same root from which we get the word carnival. I think that Paul was probably saying that our lives must not be a spectacle of themselves. Our nature is almost side-show like, looking for our own cheap pleasure. He equates that with a carnival.

I then looked around at the surroundings. They were a spectacle in themselves. A custom stage and carpeting on it that would rival anything any high-priced designer would show. There were incredible graphics and live video feed. There was a large cross and there had been entertainment for all on Saturday. There was a great tent full of amazing things for kids, during the meetings.

I began to wonder, "Was this good extravagance or a carnival that made a spectacle of ourselves?" Could we be sinful in thinking that we were doing the right thing. Were we having this event for the right reason? Was this a monument to The Army or an act of worship to The Lord?

Sure there was a response on Sunday Morning at the altar. There was an appeal and people gave themselves to be officers. I thought, "Maybe that was good extravagance."

I was gladdened by some of the things General Clifton had to say. He encouraged many through his oratory. Maybe it was good extravagance.

Then I thought again of money spent and people being trafficked. Was there a carnival? We sure dressed up nicely in our uniforms for each other to see. We looked nice and had quite the holy entertainment.

The jury is still out. We may not know this side of heaven what really happened this weekend. There will be spin on both sides. There always are the company people who would make a disastrous event sound good. (By the way, this one was anything but a logistical disaster. It was well-done as far as that went. The meetings were also well-planned.) There will also be the nay sayers, who will find fault no matter what.

I guess what counts, is what the Father thought. I wonder what He thought. Since you are the ones commenting here, I wonder if you thought it was good extravagance or spectacle. Was there, is there a middle ground?

As always, I wonder....

What do you think?

13 Comments:

Blogger Allison Ward said...

Check my blog again. I put something in there just for you :)
As for your post I'm still thinking about it.

6:01 PM  
Blogger HS said...

Did the past few days glorify God or entertain the faithful?

How did we get from Jesus with a few loaves and fish to a Kaliedescope Congress with production numbers and flashing lights?

I'd suggest that the story of the woman in Simon's house suggests that godly extravagance is costly to the one doing the giving, and is given out of an incredible sense of gratitude. Is that what happened in Hershey?

Hearing the prophetic words of Pastor Cymbala, I wonder how far we have come from the quarry from which we were hewn?

There is value in coming together. But in what way? At what cost? What about a gathering of God's people at a college campus (after school is out), where prayer and fasting would be a focus, along with service projects and public witness? And where the participants, who would come because they truly wanted to rather than because they were required to come, would assume the full cost of the time together without subsidy from dollars which the donor would believe are meant for the poor?

Now that I'm started on this, what about a woman's gathering that wouldn't give anything away? No goodie bags, no Home League handkerchiefs, no cupcakes? What are we teaching our people?

Perhaps the most incongruous for me was the hershey bar with a special congress wrapper - did that glorify the Lord?

10:36 PM  
Blogger neatr_natr said...

Caedmon's Call Wrote a song that says:
Spit in the clay when washed away gave the blind man sight
New eyes couldn't comprehend the sun
Shackled in darkness since his birth, who sinned was it him
whats it all worth
Now with eyes wide open they
interrogate him
Saying who is he
Do you believe what that man is saying
Who do you say is he
All I know is I was blind and now I see
ALL I KNOW IS I ONCE WAS A SLAVE AND NOW I'M FREE

Acts of compassion, sacrifice, and love often have no visible benefit for the person commiting them. The opposite is true for acts of selfishness. I don't say this to be condemning but to remind.

3:39 PM  
Blogger armybarmy said...

Hey - very few seem to want to touch this one- either that or everyone went on vacation or furlough.
I was just reading International Congress Addresses by the Founder (1904) and the reasons he gives for coming together run like this:
- to look once more into each other's faces;
- greet the General;
- a great united thanksgiving to our Heavenly Father;
- to seek a great spiritual blessing to our own souls;
- reconsecrate ourselves to the great task of filling the world with the knowledge and joy of the Salvation of God.
That plus Deuteronomy 14 (especially in light of the 12.5mil announced to world services) justifies a congress.
Much grace,
StephenC
armybarmy.com/blog.html

12:04 PM  
Blogger Bret said...

Great post . . . deep thoughts. I agree with HS . . .

As far as what God thought? “Obedience is better than sacrifice.” The alabaster jar was broken out of an obedient faith. It was an acceptable offering and sacrifice.

As far as the weekend goes . . . each person would have needed to respond and act in obedience to God. This goes for the person(s) responsible for the event all the way down to those who simply showed up. To live by faith means that we live in obedience to God’s Word and Sprit.

I personally fall short in many ways and have no stones to throw, but I can’t attend the commissioning gatherings . . . I’m either too stuck-up (full of pride), or hurt, or just plain disgusted and grieved . . . maybe a little bit of all.

You’ve probably heard the Tony Campolo story . . . what he did when asked to pray over a missions offering . . . He said “why pray? There’s enough money right here in this room to cover the expense.” He went on to demand all the cash that everybody had their person- whether $2 or $200.

I believe that when we stand before Christ, our hearts will constrict with pain and sorrow when we see how selfish and foolish we were with God’s resources.

Blessings,

Bret

8:24 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Steve,

The issue is not about the justification of a big event. It is the extravagance of the event. I have structured, hosted and been pretty successful at the big event. There is always justification for meeting together. I do find it interesting that you being a cell church guy, promotes big events. Nothing meant in a negative way.. I just find it interesting.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Maryee222 said...

I wasn't able to spend much time in the meetings last weekend- the baby just wasn't having it. The only meeting I did manage to almost fully attend was the Saturday morning production. Maybe I have a skewed vision of what went on because I only really saw that particular "show"- but in all honesty, that's what it was to me.

I want to believe that all was done for the glory of God, but from where I stood, it seemed to be more about "look at what we do", as opposed to "look at what He has done". From the applause during solos and in the middle of sacred dances, to performance prayer, to the applause after each individual ordination- it felt as if all was for entertainment purposes- not glorification purposes.

Jimmy and I were talking through out the weekend about our feelings on this very thing, and are still talking. He brought up a good point, saying that unless it was "spectaular" no one would want to come. Still I wonder, why do we "need" spectaular? Why do we need Congress at all? I don't pretend to understand all that goes into the planning, preparation, and pulling off of these events, and I certainly don't want to belittle the hard work that is put into them. It just seems to me that if our work is done to the best of our ability at the local level, these monsterous events that are so opulent can be a waste. If we are truly loving our people where we are, imho, we needn't drag them off to be "entertained".

The very first Army event I attended was the congress in 1996- when I was 16. Coming from a very different church background, I remember thinking then, how "huge and grand" the Army was. But that's all I remember- the hugeness and grandness of the weekend. I think the same can be said of this one.

Again- since I really only attended one full meeting, and am going on my what my husband told me about the others, my views may be unbalanced. I hope I have not offended anyone.

~Mary :)

9:15 AM  
Blogger jeff said...

I want to think more about this. And perhaps because of the work that lies ahead of me here I wont be able to. I wasn't there. But because my daughter was a part of the great event mentioned here, it is hard to separate the blessing I heard it was to her with how it was presented. I have thought a lot about this question though since giving all to follow Christ this summer: Why do we have so much time to talk about which way is the right way to do something, when so many people are dieing without Christ?
I think it's time for the Army to give most all away and trust Jesus with their mission.
We'll never know the real truth of Christ in our lives until we do.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Mary,

Welcome...Thanks for your thoughts. It is hard to keep joy in such an event as a corps officer. You are transporting soldiers and caring for them. Added to that you have a gorgeous new family member. Being a new parent adds strain. You did remind us though that it was grand and huge. I do think that the applause was not for the entertainment as much as a spontaneous outburst of praise on Saturday. Again, just my take. The Sunday commissioning, during the sacredness of ordination, applause broke out after each new officer ws ordained. Some were appalled who sat around me. I saw it as another sign of gratitude to the Lord and the fact that we had many there who were not caught up in the way things ought to be.

Jeff,

A couple of years ago, I was at a conference for the Army in Atlanta. In this forum on Urban ministry and ministry to the poor, a Chief Sec. from India made a statement similar to your's. He said that in order for the Army to live, it must die. That statement is what realy started me down the path to most of my questioning. He was concerned that we had too much in the way of goods and structure. When I had opportunity to speak to him about where he served, I was amazed how little he had. Yet, he was calling us to divest fromt he creature comforts and give all.

Interesting.

8:05 AM  
Blogger jeff said...

and I only mentioned it because that is how God became the all sufficiency of my life. Except, I didn't willingly give all away. It was taken away. I had no choice but at that/this time to submit my whole life to him with nothing left, or die. I pray that is not the way it will be for the Army. We have the knowledge to submit/surrender all now...

In our own backyards, people are starving, while we discuss the cost of a carpet.

I believe your questioning and this blog in particular will lead all of us to the truth of action.

God love and have mercy on us.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

I think it was totally worth the multiple thousands of dollars the Army spent to bring in top-notch artists. ;p

12:38 PM  
Blogger Stephen Court said...

Hey - good point. Thanks.

response:
1. I think, being a cell guy, I don't get to meetings very often and maybe appreciate them more than a normal salvo;

2. I think, being a cell guy, I see a value in pulling everyone together once in awhile - it is a big encouragement to someone who meets with six people in his living room weekly to SEE that there are more people committed to this thing (even though you know it);

3. Whenever you can pull together a crowd there is potential of making a wider influence.

I might be more positive on Kaleidoscope than others because of the personal impact, because I rarely attend these things as a delegate (it is difficult to get large crowds for SA in Canada), and because it is very rare to put together that many salvos outside of Africa.

In general, I'm pretty ambivalent about conferences these days - ideally there is a change you can measure to make it worthwhile.

Much grace,
StephenC
armybarmy.com

7:18 AM  
Blogger WThom said...

How much does it cost to chamge a name?

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home