Sunday, January 22, 2006

Is it God's blessing?

I had an experience today that I have had in many congregations. Interestingly, it even happens in The Army, where our congregants are often lower middle class and poor.

A well-meaning person who was receiving the offering talked about the necessity of tithing. I agree with that concept. It is scriptural. We need to realize that what we have is given in trust to us by God. It is right for us to return to Him the first fruits of our treasure, talent and time. The King deserves nothing else.

The person receiving the offering then went on to talk about "the blessing of God" being directly tied to our giving and His love for us. In other words if we want material blessing this person would contend that it is directly proportional to the amount we give to God in our tithe.

This is most commonly called "The Prosperity Gospel." Extreme blessing is poured out on those who God loves according to this doctrine. The more we give, the more we get.

I looked around at several homeless, street people this morning and others who were struggling to make ends meet and felt very sorry for them. According to what was being said, it would mean that God did not really love them because they had no money to give Him back. They were not blessed because they could not give. Fortunately, this is a congregation where people are loved no matter what their station in life. They are served well. I am glad they feel loved by the people at the corps, even if there is a subtle message sometimes given that somehow God can't bless them because they don't give money.

I also thought about those who live in third world countries and in places where the church is persecuted. These people rely on us who have more for the support they need to eat, have medicines and shelter. Many of these people love God with all of their hearts. They just happen to be born in the wrong place at the wrong time and do not experience the comfortable life I do. It does not mean that God loves them any less than He does me. In fact, I often think God may have more respect for them, because often their faith costs them dearly, while mine costs me little.

It could be argued that I should be called a "professional Christian," because I get paid for "doing the most good." I also live in the United States where the standard of living is higher than almost any place in the world. I love my country. I love living here. I believe it is a wonderful place to live, warts and all. I often wonder if we misplace our patriotism with a sense that we are God's favored. God must love the USA more, right? After all the kind of thinking prosperity Gospel brings would say that.

Why has this thinking crept into the theology of the Western Church? I do not believe it is scriptural. In fact, I believe scripture actually calls us to live simply and not store up possessions.

So the questions for today are pretty simple. Do you think that modern, Western Evangelicalism has fallen into a culture of consumerism that has helped spark this thinking? Is the West, especially America fooling itself by thinking we are more favored by God? Is the extreme patriotism often exhibited in the US a misguided way for us to think that we are more favored by God? What is real prosperity? What is Jeremiah 29:11 really talking about? For that matter, what was Malachi talking about when he indicates that God will pour out a great blessing when the tithes are brought into the storehouse? Is The Salvation Army in the United States more or less blessed than our counterparts around the world?

What do you think?

6 Comments:

Blogger Allison Ward said...

This has NOTHING to do with what you wrote so you can delete it after you read it. I was at THQ today and I saw the FUNNIEST picture of you and Mhairi! I was at her desk and there was a picture of you and her on the ropes course at star lake. You were on the impossible one with the four trees and the wires and you were squatting like you were constipated.. Oh my goodness it was soooooo funnny!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

allison thanks for that reminder. certainly not prosperity gospel there.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Jay Bee said...

Larry: did you get this? JB

11:15 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

jonbee,

YES. Welcome to blogdom

11:21 AM  
Blogger Dave C said...

Larry,

The prosperty gospel has definitely creeped and seeped into the Army. I've heard many "pre-offering prayers" with the "blessings" we will receive.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts...just found your blog.

In His Grip,
Dave
salarmyofficership.blogspot.com

P.S. Did you read Trista's article in Officer?

9:13 AM  
Blogger Nicole_Marietta said...

Ok, so this is something I struggle with daily. As an Army officer, or just as those who should serve the poor and abused in society...how do we rate getting the benefits we receive. Don't get me wrong, I like that my daughter will be in a nice school district...but the children that attend our weekly minstries go to jacked-up schools. How does my daughter rate? As a mother, I am glad she will receive a good education, this is the dilemma.
As far as being able to minister to those who come through our doors..I too am a product of poverty. We lived in an apartment above a car repair shop growing up. The closest neighbors were always fighting in the wee hours and our street was constantly filled with the patrons from the bar a few buildings down.
I thank the Lord that I could come from that situation to share the hope that comes through Him. I believe that service is a matter of the heart, not a matter of the wallet. The poorest soldiery are some of the worst servants we have. It's all about me and what I can get is not about being a servant (again, some fellow officers can fit into this category as well). On the other hand some of the greatest servants are on our Advisory Board and in my Rotary Club. Men and women who want so much to give back and bring hope to the people we serve together.
So, I guess my question is this: How can you guard your heart from the lukewarm mentality and the entitlement lifestyle?

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home