Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Facebooked?

I admit it. I am an addict. I am addicted to Facebook. I have been a member of the social networking site for quite some time, but in recent days, I have really become active on the site.


Over the last several months I have had opportunity to reconnect with people I have not had much contact with for years. I have had many of my friends tell me that they have reconnected with people long lost from their past as well.

My wife claims that I would spend all day long every day on this network. I do this because I am amazed at the number of people who have an interest in each others' lives. Many people are an open book, well sort of, through their status update. You can tell they are sick, happy, sad or angry. Yet, you are always wondering if what you read is true.

In recent days, I have been trying to read my friends. I must be honest. I have allowed many of my good friendships over the years to evaporate. I really have struggled with a couple of friendships in particular over the last couple of months, that I really have missed.

It is tough to stay connected for many reasons. Whether it is disagreement or just a hiding of our true feelings, most of us tend to not be very open. Maybe it is a lack of trust. I think that vulnerability is the key to all of this.

I find that in the church. For whatever reason, we tend to be individualists with acquaintances and not real friends. This is sad. For it seems that when there is rich community, there is real revival that takes place in the church.

I am not sure why we tend to be so guarded. Maybe it is pride. Maybe it is insecurity. All I know that for a myriad of reasons we just don't seem to build community or stay connected in the soul of each other.

I believe that is what the church needs and we as individuals need to do. We need to make deep friendships and deep community work.

Why is that we don't? Why is it that we just don't connect? Why don't we let ourselves be vulnerable with people who are supposed to love us?

I am wanting to make deep friendships work. As always I want to know, what do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Hinzman said...

I remember talking to you during the mens prayer breakfast. I appreciate how open you were to share your thoughts and concerns. I, too, think about those things a lot, but sometimes I have wondered if I was the only one. You're right - if only real friends were made in the church, revival would break loose... right where it is needed the most.

Here are my thoughts after reading what you wrote...

"Growth in the church could be good, or it could be a tumor" (James MacDonald). Perhaps it is that with greater numbered congregations, ministry 'raises up' lesser quality in the relationship those congregants will have with God (and more convincing their 'masks' will be) due to lack of Friendship. When, instead of striving for great numbers by dressing up to 'play church' (as you put it)and ultimately, Jesus is 'let loose' in our lives and churches, making 'servant' disciples instead of church-goers, worshipers instead of song singers, and prayer warriors instead of self-concerned individuals, revival of the Holy Spirit will occur.

11:28 AM  
Blogger HS said...

I, too, have been thinking about friendships from the past that I so valued, but that have fallen victim to too many miles and too many years. I'm glad I've kept a journal, if only occasionally, because I have a tangible record of open hearts and lives. As I've been reading some of the old entries, I am both embraced by what was and challenged to my relationships of today. How rich I am.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home